Move over Halloween - there's a new holiday in town! Out of the way Snickers, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Butterfingers and all you other Halloween treats! Did you know that today is National Caramel Apple Day?
And what a way to celebrate - with a stack of hot Caramel Apple Pancakes! Spiced Applesauce Pancakes sprinkled with bite-sized pieces of tart granny smith and sweet honey crisp apples, drizzled with homemade Caramel "Silk in a Jar" Sauce, Salted Caramel Sauce or my Apple Cider Caramel Sauce!
These tender and fluffy pancakes are the perfect combination of fresh buttermilk, eggs and whole wheat flour, and sweetened with natural applesauce and just a touch of brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and all of your favorite pumpkin pie spices.
Hopefully all of you have been to your local apple orchard by now, and by now I'm sure you've got a few jars of homemade caramel sauce just waiting for something special?
Not for every weekend, but a perfect way to celebrate Halloween! I don't know about you, but it's always a struggle to get any kind of dinner into my kids before they head out the door for trick-or-treating, but this stops them in their tracks!
A side of tender ham or crispy bacon, and a hot stack of Caramel Apple Pancakes is just our way of celebrating a fun day! Hope that you love these as much as we do!
Honey Crisp Apples or Granny Smith Apples (washed, cored & chopped into small pieces)
Spiced Applesauce Pancakes:
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Ginger
½ teaspoon apple pie spice (optional)
¼ cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1 cup unsweetened or natural applesauce
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2-1/2 cups buttermilk
Microwave Salted Caramel Sauce (Caramel Silk in a Jar), Salted Caramel Sauce or Apple Cider Caramel Sauce (all recipes from Snowflakes & Coffeecakes)
HOW I MAKE THESE:
1. Make Pancake Batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the sifted whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and optional apple pie spice; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, brown sugar, eggs, buttermilk and melted butter.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, a half at a time, stirring very gently just until blended – the batter will be slightly lumpy. DO NOT OVERMIX! Allow batter to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Preheat griddle or cast iron griddle to 350 degrees or on stove over medium heat and brush with melted butter. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the batter onto the hot griddle for each pancake. Ladle a few more pancakes, being careful not to crowd them.
5. When the pancakes just begin to form bubbles on the surface, the edges are set and the bottom is golden, carefully flip and cook until the other side is golden brown. (Adjust the heat as necessary so that the bottoms don’t brown before the tops are set.)
6. Warm up your choice of Caramel Sauce (all recipes are located at Snowflakes & Coffeecakes!
7. Top warm pancakes with chopped apples and drizzle with warm Caramel Sauce; serve immediately!
YIELD: about 16 pancakes
Originally posted October 2013 & 2017; text and photos updated October 2020.
© SnowflakesandCoffeecakes. All images, attachments & content are copyright protected. All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to www.snowflakesandcoffeecakes.com for the recipe
NEVER MISS A NEW RECIPE - FOLLOW ME ON
I'm Mama V and I am so happy you stopped by to visit! This is the place to find family favorite and kitchen-tested quality recipes, along with photographs and tips to give you the confidence to cook and bake from scratch.
You'll find a complete recipe index on the Recipe Collection page or you can use the Recipe Collection dropdown feature to see a visual recipe index by category. If you are looking for something special, the Search function will easily locate your favorite recipe or ingredients. Enjoy - and stop by often!
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL?
Type in the name of recipe, category or any ingredient to search my recipe database.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies