The holiday baking season has officially kicked off, and this week we'll be making all of our favorite Christmas candies! My little ones have insisted that we start with their favorite Marshmallow Dream Bars - and it's the perfect treat to start with.
Smooth and silky chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter and loaded with fluffy little marshmallows - these Marshmallow Dream Bars truly are a dream!
With only five ingredients and five minutes of your time, you'll see why these are the perfect treat for your kiddos to help you make, and kids LOVE these. A sprinkle of holiday M&M's makes the easiest and most festive holiday treat ever!
In the top of a double boiler with an inch of water simmering in the bottom pan, you're going to combine peanut butter, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. It only takes a few minutes over low heat to melt these up all silky and smooth!
You may be tempted to melt everything in the microwave, but simmering in a double boiler melts the chips at a lower temperature, and much easier and more consistently without the fear of the mixture seizing up.
Marshmallow Dream Bars have the consistency of creamy fudge, but all those little marshmallows really lighten everything up. One of my family's favorite combinations is chocolate, butterscotch and peanut butter, so these are always a big hit.
I love starting off the holiday season with simple family favorites - and we'll be making more than a few batches of these to share this year with family and friends. Hope you love them too!
1 (12 oz.) pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (11 oz.) pkg butterscotch chips
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 (10.5 oz.) bag mini marshmallows
1 cup M&M baking bits
HOW I MAKE THESE:
1. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
2. In the top of a double boiler with at least 1-inch of water simmering in the bottom pan, combine the peanut butter, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Don’t be tempted to melt your chips in the microwave – simmering on the top of a double boiler melts the chips at a lower temperature, and easier and more consistently without the fear of the mixture seizing up.
3. Stir gently until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in mini-marshmallows and gently stir until marshmallows are evenly coated with the melted chocolate mixture.
5. Pour mixture evenly into prepared baking pan – don’t press down too hard – you don’t want to squish the marshmallows!
6. Sprinkle with mini M&M’s and refrigerate until set.
7. Cut into bars and serve. Store in an airtight container in a cool location.
YIELD: 24 servings
Originally posted December 2010, revised and reposted December 2018 & 2019.
© SnowflakesandCoffeecakes. All images, attachments & content are copyright protected. All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to www.snowflakesandcoffeecakes.com for the recipe
I'm Mama V and I am so happy you stopped by to visit! This is the place to find family favorite and kitchen-tested quality recipes, along with photographs and tips to give you the confidence to cook and bake from scratch.
You'll find a complete recipe index on the Recipe Collection page or you can use the Recipe Collection dropdown feature to see a visual recipe index by category. If you are looking for something special, the Search function will easily locate your favorite recipe or ingredients. Enjoy - and stop by often!
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL?
Type in the name of recipe, category or any ingredient to search my recipe database.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies