Are you getting ready for Valentines Day? I don't know about you, but I'd rather make a wonderful dinner at home with our Valentine favorites than fight the crowds for a mediocre meal. Call me crazy, but its just so much more relaxing to cook a meal together and be able to relax and enjoy it at home. And for the perfect finish, all you need is some of these French Silk Mousse Tartlets with Fresh Berries! A picture is usually worth a million words, but every silky bite of these is better than the last!
I was so happy when Skipper got me a new commercial tart pan for Christmas...and I think this will be a nice reward for him, don't you think? These little tarts are so very easy to make, and so very perfect for all my little loves - and my big guy too! We love the flaky, buttery homemade pie crust, but if you're rushed for time or need a shortcut, you can always use refrigerated pie dough, or frozen pre-made tart shells or puff pastry. And the French Silk Mousse filling? GAH! It's so rich, creamy and silky that you will want to devour it with a spoon!
If you're not a berry person, you can always top these with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and some chocolate curls, but there's something about the color and flavor of fresh strawberries and raspberries that make me happy!
You'll have a fair bit of the Chocolate Silk Mousse left after making theses - which means you can make more tartlets, smaller tartlets, or even just one BIG tart. Feel free to customize whichever way works best for you! But if you do have some filling leftover, it looks pretty in a parfait glass layered with whipped cream and berries.
And whether you're celebrating Valentines Day, or Galentines Day, or Friends Day, whatever...just make these. Believe me, no one will be disappointed!
Love to you all!
Double Pie Crust (homemade or refrigerated)
Egg Wash: 1 large egg (room temperature) and 1 tablespoon milk
French Silk Mousse Filling:
8 oz. dark chocolate (Ghiradelli or other high quality chocolate bar)
1 can (14 oz.) Eagle Brand Chocolate Sweetened Condensed Milk
16 oz. (2 small tubs) Cool Whip (not frozen)
Fresh raspberries & strawberries (washed & dried)
HOW I MAKE THIS:
1. Prepare Pie Crust: Prepare two pie crusts per your favorite recipe, or use two refrigerated pie crusts.
2. Roll out the chilled pie dough: Lightly sprinkle flour into bottom of a tart pans (this will keep your crust from sticking to the bottom of the individual tarts.) On a floured surface, roll out one large pie crust at a time (keep the other pie crust refrigerated). You’ll be cutting three individual tart crusts from each large crust. Measure your individual tart pans and cut each smaller crust to fit the bottom and up the sides of each individual tart (for a six-inch tart, you’ll need to cut each individual tart crust in an approximate 7-inch circle).
3. Working in a circular motion, ease dough into place in each individual tart pan. Trim or shape overhang to ½ inch beyond lip of tart pan. Using your thumb and forefinger, flute and crimp edge of dough evenly around each tart. When crusts are all in pan, cover with plastic and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
5. Prepare Egg Wash: In a small bowl, beat egg and milk with a fork until frothy. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edge of each tart crust with the egg wash. Poke bottom and sides of each tart shell with a fork.
6. Prepare Foil Inserts: Cut foil into six 7”-widths. Fold and shape foil so that one piece will fit inside each tart shell like this: (In my experience, this works better than lining each individual tart crust with foil and filling with pie weights or beans.)
7. Bake Tart Shells in pre-heated oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown around the top and sides; remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. You will remove the foil inserts right before you fill each tart shell.
8. Prepare Chocolate Silk Mousse Filling: Break or chop dark chocolate bars into pieces and melt according to package directions (double boiler or microwave). Stir until melted and smooth.
9. In a large mixing bowl, pour Sweetened Condensed Milk. Add melted dark chocolate and blend with hand mixer or whisk until well combined. Add one container of Cool Whip at a time, beating with hand mixer until well blended. Pour French Silk Mousse mixture into individual tart shells and smooth top. Chill.
10. Clean and dry strawberries and raspberries. Garnish each tart with fresh fruit right before serving.
YIELD: Six six-inch tarts
Originally published February 2018; revised and republished November 2019.
© SnowflakesandCoffeecakes. All images, attachments & content are copyright protected unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to www.snowflakesandcoffeecakes.com for the recipe.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
I'm Mama V and I am so happy you stopped by to visit! This is the place to find family favorite and kitchen-tested quality recipes, along with photographs and tips to give you the confidence to cook and bake from scratch.
You'll find a complete recipe index on the Recipe Collection page or you can use the Recipe Collection dropdown feature to see a visual recipe index by category. If you are looking for something special, the Search function will easily locate your favorite recipe or ingredients. Enjoy - and stop by often!
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL?
Type in the name of recipe, category or any ingredient to search my recipe database.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies