After making another batch of fresh Homemade Croissants last weekend, it was the perfect time to whip up a batch of one of our favorite sandwich fillings - Smoked Turkey & Gruyere Salad. Whether you put this in a sandwich, scoop it onto crisp salad greens, serve in pretty little finger sandwiches for garden teas or showers, or simply eat it with a fork, this fabulous fresh Smoked Turkey Salad is loaded with tiny bites of tender smoked turkey breast, gruyere or baby Swiss cheese, craisins, juicy red grapes and slivered almonds, and ALWAYS a huge hit!
FRESH & SIMPLE INGREDIENTS!
FOR THE SALAD DRESSING:
EASY TO MAKE
If you happen to have some roasted or smoked turkey breast in your refrigerator, you're already By using smoked or roasted turkey breast from Honey Baked Ham or your favorite deli, you save LOTS of time whipping this up! No roasting or baking, simply shop and chop! I always seem to be able to find little ones that want to help wash and cut up the grapes - with a little nibbling on the side! Start by mixing up the Salad Dressing, and everything else comes together quickly. Just make sure you have a little bit of time for everything to chill together before you serve.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE INGREDIENTS?
Absolutely! Roasted turkey instead of smoked turkey? Just as wonderful. I do love to pick up my turkey at Honey Baked Ham Store - you know that wonderful sugary & crispy glaze on the outside of their hams? It's the same wonderful glaze on their turkey breasts - whether roasted or smoked. If you have to forgo that, no worries, but it really takes this salad up a notch!
Baby Swiss cheeses instead of gruyere? Absolutely! Leave out the craisins if you like. Green grapes are just as delicious as red grapes - just remember to cut them into nice sized pieces if they are HUGE grapes! Slivered or sliced almonds, or even unsalted cashews add just the perfect amount of crunch. Make this salad your way and own it like a boss!
I don't mess around with the Salad Dressing ingredients, because truth be told, they are the perfect blend.
Whenever I make this Smoked Turkey Salad, I have to hide it really good, because there have been more that a few occasions when I've caught someone with their fork in the dish when they think I'm not looking...
It's simply that wonderful! Hope that you enjoy as much as we do!
3 cups shredded or diced fresh smoked turkey
½ cup finely diced celery
½ cup diced Gruyere or baby Swiss cheese
1 cup red grapes (washed, drained & cut into halves)
½ cup craisins
1/3 cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1/3 cup apricot preserves
1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Fresh Butter Croissants
Sliced Bread or Wraps
HOW I MAKE THIS:
1. PREPARE DRESSING: Combine all dressing ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
2. PREPARE SMOKED TURKEY SALAD: Depending on how you plan to serve this, either finely shred or finely chop the smoked turkey for sandwich filling, or coarsely shred or dice for serving as a salad on greens.
3. Add smoked turkey, diced gruyere or baby Swiss Cheese and remaining ingredients EXCEPT for slivered almonds to salad dressing, and stir gently until evenly coated and combined.
4. Chill until ready to serve. Right before serving, stir in the slivered almonds – this will keep them from getting soggy.
YIELD: 5 cups (approximately 4 salad servings or 6-8 sandwiches)
· My favorite smoked turkey to use for this recipe is Honey Baked Ham Smoked Turkey Breast. It has the most delicious crust and comes pre-sliced. I serve half of the turkey for dinner, and save the other half to make this wonderful salad!
· This Smoked Turkey Salad will loosen up after it is all mixed together – for maximum flavor, prepare and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. You can prepare the smoked turkey and dressing ahead of time up to a day ahead of time – just mix them together an hour before serving and chill; add slivered almonds right before serving.
Originally published February 2019; revised & reposted July 2020.
© SnowflakesandCoffeecakes. All images, attachments & content are copyright protected. All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to www.snowflakesandcoffeecakes.com for the recipe.
You may also enjoy...
I'm Mama V and I am so happy you stopped by to visit! This is the place to find family favorite and kitchen-tested quality recipes, along with photographs and tips to give you the confidence to cook and bake from scratch.
You'll find a complete recipe index on the Recipe Collection page or you can use the Recipe Collection dropdown feature to see a visual recipe index by category. If you are looking for something special, the Search function will easily locate your favorite recipe or ingredients. Enjoy - and stop by often!
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL?
Type in the name of recipe, category or any ingredient to search my recipe database.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies