Are you ready for Fall? Even though we've been in the middle of record-breaking 90 degree weather, the calendar tells us that it's officially Fall, so the best time of the year kicks off! Bonfires, football games, hayrides, everything-pumpkin...
This Roasted Apple & Maple Glazed Chicken with Escalloped Apples is magic - the perfect blend of tender roasted chicken glazed in the perfect blend of sweet and spicy! Tasty roasted apples and just a taste of maple syrup are the base of the tangiest, sweetest grilling sauce you have ever tasted! Perfect with a side of my Escalloped Apples. Autumn dinner is served!
I make this Roasted Apple & Maple Grilling Sauce by the bucket every autumn - it is the perfect start for both chicken and boneless pork chops or tenderloins.
Tangy sweet apples are roasted along with onions, and then combined with real maple syrup (NOT pancake syrup!), brown sugar, Dijon mustard, ketchup, cayenne, smoked paprika and the lightest touch of cinnamon, ginger and cloves....SO GOOD! Pink Lady or Honey Crisp apples are both a great place to start! I store it in mason jars in my refrigerator and it lasts all season, ready to pull out at the last minute. It's also pretty good drizzled on brats if you're looking for something different for your next tailgate party!
I've given you three different ways to roast this chicken (or pork) - grilling, roasting in the oven, or on your stovetop. You guys, I can't tell you how moist, juicy, sweet and savory this is. My family just goes NUTS for this every fall!
And with a side of homemade Escalloped Apples, sautéed in butter and brown sugar with cinnamon and craisins - it's all good!
It's fun to experiment with different apple types with all of the Autumn baking and cooking that we do, but tangy, sweet and super juicy apples seem to work the best for these two recipes. And it smells SO GOOD while it is roasting, and tastes even better!
Hopefully you get a chance to make this soon, and often!
Roasted Apple Barbecue Sauce, Marinade & Glaze:
3 large apples (Pink Lady or Honey Crisp – you want apples that are tangy, sweet and super juicy)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup onion diced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons real maple syrup (NOT pancake syrup)
2 tablespoons honey Dijon mustard
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cloves roasted garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon of salt and pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ cup water
HOW I MAKE THIS:
1. Prepare Roasted Apple BBQ Sauce: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel apples, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces. Spray with oil and place on baking pan and roast until they start to caramelize, about 20-25 minutes.
3. Once the apples are lightly brown and caramelized, remove from oven and place in a heavy saucepan on stove top. Add onions and saute for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, or until onions are translucent. Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT for water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool. When cooled, place in a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth, adding water as necessary until you have a consistency you like. If you want a smoother consistency, push through a fine mesh sieve.
5. Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks; when bottled in mason jars, it will last all summer.
6. Marinade Chicken: If you have really large chicken breasts, slice each chicken breasts horizontally to create 8 thin cutlets. Place in a large ziplock bag.
7. In a small bowl, stir together ½ cup of Roasted Apple Barbeque Sauce and ¼ cup olive oil; pour over chicken in ziplock bag. Seal and place in refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally so that the chicken marinades evenly.
8. Remove chicken from refrigerator 30 minutes before you are ready to starting cooking.
9. ROASTING METHODS:
GRILLING: Preheat grill to 375 degrees and grease grates. Drain chicken from marinade and place on grill; grill undisturbed for 3 minutes per side. After this initial grilling, brush sides with Roasted Apple Barbeque Sauce, turning frequently, until chicken reaches 165 degree internal temp.
ROASTING: For super moist chicken, roast in the oven at 350 degrees – place chicken and marinade in a baking pan, cover with foil, and bake for 45 minutes; drain juices at 30 minutes with a baster, remove foil and brush with Roasted Apple Barbeque Sauce for final 15 minutes of baking. (This is perfect for salads and sandwiches!)
STOVETOP: Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Once hot, add chicken to skillet. Cook undisturbed for 3 minutes or until nicely browned on one side. Turn chicken, baste with Roasted Apple Barbeque Sauce and cover. Reduce heat to medium. Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked through. Brush cooked chicken with additional Roasted Apple Barbeque Sauce.
NOTE: Serve with extra Roasted Apple Barbeque Sauce and Escalloped Apples on the side!
YIELD: 2-1/2 to 3 cups of sauce; 4 dinner servings
© SnowflakesandCoffeecakes. All images, attachments & content are copyright protected unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to www.snowflakesandcoffeecakes.com for the recipe
I'm Mama V and I am so happy you stopped by to visit! This is the place to find family favorite and kitchen-tested quality recipes, along with photographs and tips to give you the confidence to cook and bake from scratch.
You'll find a complete recipe index on the Recipe Collection page or you can use the Recipe Collection dropdown feature to see a visual recipe index by category. If you are looking for something special, the Search function will easily locate your favorite recipe or ingredients. Enjoy - and stop by often!
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL?
Type in the name of recipe, category or any ingredient to search my recipe database.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies