CORONATION CHICKEN SALAD
The first time I ever tried Coronation Chicken Salad, I was just a little girl, enjoying her first fancy tea party with my Gram. Over the years, both she and my Mom would serve this special chicken salad at garden teas, bridal showers and baby showers. And I looked forward to it every time!
As the story goes, this Coronation Chicken Salad was first created in honor of and served to Queen Elizabeth II at her coronation luncheon. The mango chutney (Major Grey Chutney is the brand I use) and curry powder were a nod to India as a British colony. One taste and you'll see why this was such a fabulous success!
Hosting my own "Royal Wedding Tea Party" this year, I pulled out this old family-favorite recipe and made it for my five daughters. They love it as much as I did when I was little!
Whether you put layer this Coronation Chicken Salad in a sandwich, scoop it onto crisp green garden greens, or serve in pretty little finger sandwiches for a tea, this fabulous fresh chicken salad is loaded with flavor and ALWAYS a huge hit! Perfect on petite fresh butter croissants, sliced bread or wraps, or even on cocktail rye or pumpernickel bread.
You can find Major Grey Chutney in the jam aisle of most upscale grocery stores. It's basically a mango chutney, and really adds a nice flavor to the mix, so don't skip it! If the mango pieces are large, just chop them up until they are bite-sized.
If you want to shake this one up, you can also add in sliced green onions, raisins, diced apples or cashews instead of the almonds.
2 cups shredded or diced rotisserie chicken
½ cup red or green grapes (halved or quartered)
½ cup slivered almonds
Garnish: fresh watercress
1/2 cup mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
3 Tablespoons Major Grey Chutney (mango chutney)
3 Tablespoons apricot preserves or jam
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
2-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh Butter Croissants
Sliced Bread or Wraps
Cocktail Rye or Pumpernickel Bread
HOW I MAKE THIS:
1. PREPARE DRESSING: Combine all dressing ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
2. PREPARE CHICKEN SALAD: Depending on how you plan to serve this, either finely shred or finely chop the chicken for sandwich filling, or coarsely shred or dice for serving as a salad on greens.
3. Add prepared chicken and remaining chicken salad ingredients EXCEPT for slivered almonds to salad dressing, and stir gently until evenly coated and combined.
4. Chill until ready to serve. Right before serving, stir in the slivered almonds – this will keep them from getting soggy.
YIELD: 3 cups (approximately 4 salad servings or 6 tea sandwiches)
· This Coronation Chicken Salad will loosen up after it is all mixed together – for maximum flavor, prepare and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. You can prepare the chicken and dressing ahead of time up to a day ahead of time – just mix them together an hour before serving and chill; add slivered almonds right before serving.
· OPTIONAL RECIPE ADD-INS: sliced green onions, raisins, diced apples and cashews are all wonderful in this salad!
© SnowflakesandCoffeecakes. All images, attachments & content are copyright protected unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to www.snowflakesandcoffeecakes.com for the recipe.
Leave a Reply.
HI, I’M MAMA V! I'm so happy you stopped by to visit this delicious corner of the internet! This is the place to find family favorite and kitchen-tested quality recipes, along with photographs and tips to give you the confidence to cook and bake from scratch.
You'll find a complete recipe index on the Recipe Collection page or you can use the Recipe Collection dropdown feature to see a visual recipe index by category. If you are looking for something special, the Search function will easily locate your favorite recipe or ingredients. Enjoy - and stop by often!
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL?
Type in the name of recipe, category or any ingredient to search my recipe database.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies