Is there anything more versatile than creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes? You can always add roasted garlic or onion & chive cream cheese for something different - but for a crowd, there is nothing better than perfectly simple mashed potatoes!
My family loves velvety smooth mashed potatoes, served with meatloaf, Grandpa B's fabulous meatballs with mushroom gravy, or perfect with a roasted turkey dinner!
4 pounds russet potatoes (about 8 medium potatoes)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
1-1/2 cups milk (2% or whole) or half & half
½ cup milk (2% or whole)
Salt (to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
HOW I MAKE THESE:
1. Peel, rinse and cut potatoes into large chunks (about 6-8 chunks per potato).
2. In a heavy Dutch oven or large pot, add rinsed potatoes and enough cold water to just reach the top of the potatoes.
3. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced by a fork (about 15-20 minutes).
4. Removed cooked potatoes from heat and drain liquid.
5. Add the stick of butter to the cooked potatoes and beat with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until the butter is melted. Add the milk or half & half, and beat with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until well combined.
6. Increase speed to medium-high and whip for another couple of minutes, until light and creamy, fluffy and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Place a few pats of butter on top and cover until ready to serve; garnish with fresh snipped parsley or chives (optional) – and serve hot!
· 2 Tablespoons of finely minced roasted garlic
· 3 oz. block of cream cheese
· 3 oz. whipped cream cheese with onions & chive
· ½ package of dry ranch dressing mix
· ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
YIELD: 8 to 10 servings
Originally posted November 2013; revised and reposted April 2019.
© SnowflakesandCoffeecakes. All images, attachments & content are copyright protected unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to www.snowflakesandcoffeecakes.com for the recipe.
I'm Mama V and I am so happy you stopped by to visit! This is the place to find family favorite and kitchen-tested quality recipes, along with photographs and tips to give you the confidence to cook and bake from scratch.
You'll find a complete recipe index on the Recipe Collection page or you can use the Recipe Collection dropdown feature to see a visual recipe index by category. If you are looking for something special, the Search function will easily locate your favorite recipe or ingredients. Enjoy - and stop by often!
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL?
Type in the name of recipe, category or any ingredient to search my recipe database.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies